I Want To


Bylaw Concern Building Permit Application DOV Employment Application Business License Application Sign Permit and Application Grant Writer Assistance Form


Community Bus Schedule Community Notices Events Calendar Solid Waste Collection Fees & Schedule Financial Reports


Home Owner Grant Community Groups & Services Vanderhoof Community Forest Mayor & Council Annual Events Visitor Centre & Museum


DOV Staff Municipal Office Fire Department Building Inspector Vanderhoof YMCA

Municipal HallBuilding Inspection & Zoning Bylaw

Property and residential related bylaws, zoning and building bylaws. Specific documents include: Development Procedures Bylaw, Official Subdivision & Development Serving Bylaw

Building Permits

Permits are required for:

  • New residential construction (including single-family, duplex and seasonal dwellings – does not include pre-manufactured homes or apartments)
  • Pre-manufactured homes (mobiles, modular)
  • Residential accessory buildings (shops, garages, storage structures)
  • Wood burning appliances (wood stoves and furnaces, pellet stoves and furnaces, new chimney installations)
  • Installation of new signage on a commercial building or on the street
  • Certain properties may be within a designated Development Permit Area, as identified by the Official Community Plan. You may require a Development Permit prior to construction if your property is zoned for a commercial, industrial, or multifamily housing use, or if your property is within the Natural Hazard Development Permit area.

Upon receiving your building permit application, the District staff will review and advise you on next steps to receive your permit.

All Building Permit Applications are subject to confirmation of Zoning. If your property is not correctly zoned for a proposed building or use, a permit may be refused by the District.

At a minimum, an application must include:

  • A completed application form and paid application fee, for online applications please call 250-567-4711 to pay for the application.
  • A site plan including property and building dimensions, setback from property lines, and building footprint in relation to any utilities (water, sewer, gas, electric) or services (i.e. septic field, lagoon, well);
  • All construction drawings relevant to the construction;
  • A copy of all land title documents including any registered charges, interests, and instruments on title;
  • If using private utilities, a copy of the groundwater license and sewage disposal permit from the Province.If your building meets any of the following criteria, please include all documentation listed on the “Part 3 Building Permit Checklist” pamphlet:
  • Buildings classified as Group A (public assembly), B (care/treatment/detention centres), or F-1 (high-hazard industrial) under the BC Building Code;
  • Buildings with a total area over 600 square meters being used for major occupancies; or
  • Buildings exceeding three storeys in height with major occupancies.

To complete your building permit online PLEASE VISIT THE LINK BELOW:
Online Building and Demolition Permit Application

Part 3 Building Permit Checklist
Schedule 1 Site Disclosure Statement
Sign Bylaw and Permit Application
Contact the Building Inspector

Zoning Bylaw

The Zoning Bylaw governs land use and the form, siting, height, and density of all development within the District’s boundaries to provide for the orderly development of the community and to avoid conflicts between incompatible uses.

The Zoning Bylaw is a “rule book” that controls land use and development. It regulates exactly how land may be used, where buildings and other structures can be located, the types of buildings that are permitted, lot sizes and dimensions, parking requirements, building heights and setbacks from the street. The Zoning Bylaw is a major implementation tool of the Official Community Plan.

The Bylaw divides the District into residential, commercial, agricultural, institutional, industrial and other zones. Each of these zones has its own specific regulations.

Zoning Bylaw Schedule 1: Zoning Map
Schedule 2: Hazard Development Permit Area

Use the Property Map to find out the zoning of a property.

  1. Click the Property Map link above
  2. Click View Property Information Now
  3. Click I Agree
  4. Click Search
  5. Allow map to load
  6. Click Search PMBC by PID or Address
  7. Enter PID or Address and click Next
  8. On the left, click Property Information Report
  9. Click Download Report
  10. Click Download

The Zoning Bylaw will give you particulars about what is permitted in the zone.  If the use is not listed as permitted it is prohibited.

New to Vanderhoof?Get Plugged Into
the Community

Check out all the great recreational opportunities Vanderhoof has to offer or join one of Vanderhoof’s many clubs and organizations

Get Started
PHP Code Snippets Powered By : XYZScripts.com